Large Green Doily

I spent a beautiful sunny Sunday morning working on this, sitting outside in our courtyard when the sun finally decided to show itself, so I took the opportunity to work on my vitamin D deficiency!

This was meant to be a jug cover, but because I couldn’t use the recommended .75mm hook as it was just too small for me, using the 1.5mm meant the spaces in the doily were too big to make a jug cover. I used a variated green thread, which was amongst one of my op shop finds, and it makes a nice colour I think. Besides the Sunday morning, I also spent some of the Saturday and the Sunday evening to finish this off.

I used a pattern called ‘Chrysanthemum’ on page 52 in the book called “Crochet Covers for Jugs and Bowls” by B.R. Bolin, which I borrowed from my local library. I have taken so long in getting around to doing this green one, I extended my loan by a month, but I had to return the book the other day.

To be honest, I’m really not that into doilies. I certainly wouldn’t find use for many, just to protect a couple of furniture surfaces is all. But the reason I’m doing this is for practice. I think jug covers, on the other hand, are something much more practical, and environmentally healthy too, much more so than insect sprays and repellents. But my skill is just not fine enough to be able to make something that will keep insects out of a cup or bowl, so I have more work to do.

I didn’t want to iron this thread, as it feels like it has synthetic in it, so I just washed it in cold water with a little ‘Earth Choice’ dish liquid, then pat dry with a towel. I had a go at blocking as described @ Kitty and Me Designs. I guessed I’m supposed to stretch it out a little, the edges look better when I did that. All I used was a thick piece of recycled packing cardboard and some pins. I did find the centre, but it ended up a little off centre.  I started at the centre as recommended, working my way out to the edges. I let it air dry naturally, and I didn’t starch it because I just want to see how this would go. Another good blog post I found about this was @ Suzann’s Textilefusion. It definitely looks better after the blocking!

Now this one is finished, I’m thinking to try a different pattern which has smaller spaces in the centre, or perhaps I’m ready to try that smaller hook!

Advertisements

3 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Joyful
    Jul 19, 2010 @ 13:03:04

    You did it at last! Well done.

    Reply

  2. Laurie
    Jul 19, 2010 @ 13:12:54

    Your large green doilie is beautiful! I love it! Wonderful job. Love Laurie from Scene of the Grime

    Reply

  3. Jan
    Jul 19, 2010 @ 18:14:36

    I think you’ve done a wonderful job on this, I never did manage to use the finer threads.
    Yes we have had glorious winter weather.
    Hugs – Jan

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: